Just across the street from the Long Pond Preserve in Waccabuc, NY, Mead Memorial Chapel was built between 1905 and 1907 in the late Gothic Revival style. It was build as a memorial to George Washington Mead, who died in 1899, by his wife Sarah Frances Studwell Mead. Vesper services were held up until 1970. Today, the chapel is run by a board of trustees, and is used for weddings and other events. Each trustee of the board is related by either birth or marriage to Sarah Frances Studwell Mead, the builder of the chapel.
It was designed by Hobart B. Upjohn. He also designed St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Katonah, and a number of his projects are on the National Register of Historic Places. Mead Memorial Chapel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
The Mead Memorial Hall addition was added in 1929 and holds the Mead family archives.
The Chapel is located at the corner of Mead Street and Chapel Rd in Waccabuc, NY.
For more info visit www.meadmemorialchapel.org
Personal visit 7.24.17
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead_Memorial_Chapel. Accessed 7.24.17 and 7.25.17
www.meadmemorialchapel.org. Accessed 7.24.17 and 7.25.17
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart_Upjohn. Accessed 7.25.17.